Tiwa Savage: "I attempted suicide twice due to depression"

 


Nigerian singer, Tiwa Savage, has revealed that she attempted to commit suicide more than one, while speaking about her mental health.

Depression is a group of conditions associated with the elevation or lowering of a person’s mood, such as depression or bipolar disorder.

In a recent interview with Ebuka Obi-Uchendu on ‘Bounce Live Radio’, Tiwa Savage revealed that she nearly took her own life after she was bullied as a black kid in London. She said she moved to London with her mother at age 10 and also stated that her strong Nigerian assent was being mocked by her friends in school.

In her own words: “I was teased so bad. They used to call me ‘African girl’, ‘Foo foo’, ‘Your food smells’ and so on. It was terrible. It was so bad that I literally tried to kill myself two times. I was really depressed.” 

During the recently held #EndSars protest across Nigeria, Savage was one of the major voices that helped propel the movement. Ebuka asked her why she decided to lend her voice to the #EndSars protest.

“When someone loses a life…I’m just thinking that there is a mother out there who has lost a son because of police brutality. Like I said I know people around me who have experienced terrible terrible brutality from police officers. How can I be in Nigeria and not lend my voice, my platform to something like that? Because people close to me have experienced frightening situations,” she said.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your mother wasted 9months- Actress Joke Jigan slams a follower who called her out after she shared before and now photos

#EndSARS: You are cancelled - Nigerian celebrities call out Desmond Elliot over his comment about celebrities and influencers

Lady loses her life after falling into elevator shaft in a hotel in Asaba; Moment she fell caught on CCTV (WATCH)